Monday, December 8, 2008

Focal Dystonia in musicians: from phenomenology to therapy

Reference

Jabusch, H.C., Altenmueller, E. (2006)
Focal Dystonia in musicians: from phenomenology to therapy.
Advances in Cognitive Psychology, 2(2-3), 207-220.

Summary
This study of focal dystonia was conducted at Institute of Music Physiology and Musicians’ Medicine, University of Music and Drama in Hanover, Germany and collected symptoms and treatment results from 144 professional musicians who were diagnosed with focal dystonia between 1994 and 2001.
Focal dystonia is a task-specific movement disorder which manifests itself as a loss of voluntary motor control in extensively trained movements. One in a hundred professional musicians are affected, approximately.
An overview of the causes, physiological and neurological manifestion, and possible treatments are presented in this article.
So far, the causes of focal dystonia are attributed to excessive repetition of fine-motor skill movements in instrumental practice with psychological condition of perfectionism and anxiety and possibly, hereditary traits. Its manifestation in the brain map shows alteration in the basal ganglia circuitry and dysfunction plasticity in the sensory thalamus, as well as abnormal cortical processing of sensory information, degraded representation of motor function, and decreased cortical inhibition.
These patients were divided into groups and underwent two categories of therapies:
1. medical
- medication with Trihexyphenidyl
- injection therapy with Botulinum Toxin
2. behavioural
- ergonomic changes
- pedagogical retraining
- non-specific exercises on the instrument
The long-term result of behavioural therapies showed a higher rate of improvement in the patients than that of medical therapies. The future goal of researchers in this field is not only to search for cures, but also to discover effective strategies for preventing this disorder in developing musicians.

Review & Reflection
Since focal dystonia is mostly practice-induced, it corresponds with the higher positive feedbacks from behavioural treatment for this disorder. It is encouraging to witness evidences of brain plasticity in this field because it shows possibilities of training ourselves in and out of this disorder. Active involvement in the behavioural treatment shows a better result than passive reception of medical/chemical treatment. Also, it supports the idea of curing oneself from inside out with one's own conscious action.
Future research into awareness of instrumental practice patterns and improvement in practice routines will benefit not only professional musicians, but also growing performers in their development of a healthy and lifelong musical journey. There are few experiences more disencouraging than being prevented from making music by physical disorders. On the other hand, collaboration with music performers and pedagogues can give researchers more practical applications in preventing focal dystonia in the education of future musicians.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Jennifer.

This reminds me of a section in Norman Doidge's book (The Brain That Changes Itself). One of his featured scientists had found that when musicians can no longer move one finger without another finger moving it's because the brain maps for the fingers have become merged.

This is an example of brain plasticity. So is the therapy, which involves gradually distinguishing the two brain maps again with appropriate physical therapy...

It's great that science can help with these kinds of problems which I guess at one point would have seemed insoluble and chronic.

Martin Walker
www.mindsparke.com
Brain Fitness Software

Leonardo DiCaprio said...

I recently have some difficult conversations and I did what a lot of people do when they want to know how to do something. I googled it. I came across Dr Williams herbal medicine on blog-site so many people suffering from different kind of disease including dystonia thanking him about his good work. I also have dystonia. I wasn’t running all over God’s creation with every man I could find but here I am. I have felt bad about myself for so many years now because of my dystonia status. I obviously still have some self-accepting to do but I want to thank Dr Williams for everything he have done for me,after taking Dr Williams medicine i was completely free from cervical dystonia within one month of usage, I think what you are doing is so admirable. you have helped me a lot! I want to definitely reach out to you and thank you for your amazing work. You are a good person, and an extremely talented man. You have helped millions with your herbs, and have really inspired me,and i pray you still continue doing the good work.you can also email him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help

JESSICA said...

ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS FOR THE GREAT DEED HE HAVE DONE FOR MY DAUGHTER?
My daughter suffered from dystonia for more than 7 years which we started experiencing in her when she turned 4 year and 5 months we all thought it will end but got even worse as days went by. We tried all several treatments and therapy prescribed by various doctors we met but to no avail, she lost total concentration and always complain of  neck discomfort. She usually tells me she haves jerky head movements. This were steady disorder that disrupted her entire life, even at night she slept less because of this.It was during a casual conversation with a friend that i learned about Dr Williams herbal medicine I was able to contact him on his email address. and give him all the necessary information that he needed,few day later he sent me the herbal portion and his medicine was able to restore her back to normal and she is very okay now without any side effects whatsoever. If you have dystonia, do not hesitate to contact him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for advice and for his product. I hope this also helps someone out there.

Sophie Lewis said...

As a sign of gratitude for how my son was saved from dystonia , i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
My son suffered dystonia  and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony of so many people who was cured from dystonia  and so many other with similar body problem, and they left the contact of this doctor who had the herbal cure to  dystonia  . I never imagined  dystonia has a cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my son will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my son used it and in one months he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life. dystonia  has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my testimony .